Wednesday, September 24, 2008

This is TODAY on NBC

For the first time in my life, I saw what 6 am looked like. And it was scary. So I hit the alarm and went back to dreamland. Nine minutes later, for the first time in my life, I saw what 6:09am looked like. And it was even more scary. But, I knew that I couldn't go back to dreamland this time. How could I though, I was too excited. I had to get up, get going, and make my way down to Colonial Williamsburg.

Any seasoned tourist, would know that this is extremely too early to walk through the streets of history. This morning, however, was a little different for this sleepy old town.

Colonial Williamsburg had a small piece of the Big Apple there and this little small town girl had to get all up in it!

The TODAY Show was in Colonial Williamsburg this morning, and I wanted a front row seat! Al Roker and Matt Lauer (wipe drool from mouth) were so close, that I could smell the studliness in the air! Papa Bird and I arrived at CW around 7:15am and immediately jumped right in the madness!


"Hurry Up Papa Bird! I'm losing prime real estate as we speak!"


I'm in there somewhere...



There I am! Not without my coffee of course!


A picture of Duke of Gloucester Street with one too many Obama supporters and Obama signs. Even small children and dogs had to turn around and get out of there!




Papa Bird definitely had to get out of there!


Obama supporters....'Nuf Said.




2008 Christmas Card Picture





The Capital.

Papa Bird and I had had enough and decided to leave Duke of Gloucester Street. The Capital is where Matt was on air for most of the morning. This area had the better view of the action and more camera love. I held my little sign proudly, but it was soon overcrowded with political signs. My marketing strategy then shifted from holding up my "Hi Mom" sign, to blocking as many Obama signs as I could with my sign. Mature, I know. I haven't seen the taped show yet, but I'd like to think I was a little successful.

Crowded.

Shout Out for Roanoke. WSLS!



After Papa Bird and I were dramatized by the obnoxiousness of the Obama supporters, we decided to call it a morning. As we started to head to the car, my nose caught a strong scent of studliness and I followed my female instincts. What my nose detected was this...


Well HELLO Matty Poo
Matt and the production crew were taping in a "secret" location. Only a few others must have my ability to pick up on the studliness scent, because there were only a small group of us in this "secret" location. This, was by far, one of the highlights of the morning. In between interviews, Matt would turn, wave, and carry on small conversation with our group. Matt entertained our questions for several minutes and was very personable with each person. In doing so, he earned
major "meeting celebrities in real life" points!




It was really neat to see all of the behind-the-scenes action!






All in all, Papa Bird and I had a memorable morning! The whole, up before sunrise thing, was just a small price to pay for making a memory!


p.s. Papa Bird got a dose of the "THIS is why" attitude this morning.
You know...THIS is why we get up at 6 am to see the TODAY show live
THIS is why the girls get up at 5 am on Black Friday
THIS is why the girls get up at 5 am on December 26th
The payoffs are unmeasurable! .... DUH Papa Birdie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um... I need to know why you are sporting a Tech shirt when you know you only went to Ferrum... Boo on your school spirit!

Amy Jo said...

Oh, yeah, Ferrum...that's right :)
The Tech shirt actually had a William and Mary logo on it as well. Marketing strategy #1 :)