Thursday, September 11, 2008

And I Proudly Stand Up!

7 years.

I can not believe it has been 7 years today.

I still vividly remember where I was when I first heard the news over the radio.

I still vividly remember running to the closest television and watching in shock as the second plane hit the second tower. Shock.

I still vividly remember the unanswered questions that immediately circled around this American tradegy.

I still vividly remember how Americans immediately started to show even MORE pride, loyalty, and devotion to our Nation than ever before.

I still vividly remember how the colors of red, white and blue, lyrics to a patriotic song, and the word American, took on a whole new meaning.

(the above was written is all seriousness; the below...not so much)

I still vividly remember the day it happened.

I still vividly remember sitting in the church pew, beside my mother, with sister bird on the other side of her.

I still vividly remember the choir director, leading the congregation to turn in their programs to the patroitic song, "God Bless The U.S.A." , and the sound of the piano as it began to play the notes.

I still vividly remember the look that sister bird immediately shot to me and I equally shot right back at her. The look of fear, quickly followed by the look of what to do...oh, what to do, covered our face like icing on a cake.

I still vividly remember half heartedly singing the words of the song, for I knew what was coming.

I still vividly remember, gingerly approaching the last chorus (the one where Lee Boy really brings it home), with the fear of what would happen next.

I still vividly remember sister bird and I mentally working together to try to contain our mother like we were trying to contain the top of a Jack-in-the-Box that was ready to explode at any second.

I still vividly remember the breeze that sister bird and I both felt from our mother springing to her feet like Old Faithful, as the chorus (remember, the one that brings it home) belted from our mothers mouth "And I proudly stand up". Our mother had slipped right passed our mental grip that we had on her....and it was too late. There she was, standing in all of her glory, just like another little Lady we know.




I still vividly remember looking over at sister bird, as both our bodies sunk into the church pew, mouthing the words, "you get her, NO, you get her" and back and forth we went.

I still vividly remember slowing looking up from having my head hung in embarassment and wishing that the last 10 seconds had been a dream. But it wasn't. There she was. There was our mother, singing her heart away, standing all by herself in the middle of the whole congregation. Did sister bird and I save our mother and join proudly in standing with her you ask.... ummm,uh, NOOO! Of course not! That proud little American was on her own.

I still vividly remember filing out of the church pews and into the ailse, to exit the church. The looks, the pointing, the whispers...."there she is...that's her" Oh the embarassment.

I still vividly remember the embarassment to this day. But is it embarassment? or is it guilt? pride? I'm not sure.

But I do know one thing.

That's my momma and she loves OUR country.

So this one is for you momma. I hope you sing along and stand at all the appropiate times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RssIN3ustUw&feature=related

I am proud to be an American and proud to be my mother's daughter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute blog! I am so excited I have something else to stalk! You know how upset I get when Emily doesn't update hers!

Love how Emily changed her blog so it doesn't look exactly like yours! How funny!

Much love!